We are working to keep Lake Williams free of invasive plants and a resource we all can enjoy. Learn about Friends of Lake Williams by clicking on About Us.
You can also follow us on Facebook. Click the link at the bottom of this page.
What’s Coming Up –
Eco-Harvester Day Rescheduled
Due to the thunderstorms forecasted for this Saturday the Eco-Harvester Demonstration has been resheduled for Saturday, July 18th from 9 am to 3 pm. See details of Eco-Harvester Day below.
Lake Cleanup Day
This summer’s Lake Cleanup Day will be held on July 25th from 9-11am. Anyone is invited to participate. The initial meeting place for assignments will be at 2nd Beach on Lake Shore Drive (near 295 Lake Shore Dr). Trash bags will be provided.
After the cleanup a friendly get together will take place at the shallows between the islands at the south end of the lake. BYO refreshments if you would like.
The invasive weeds, Variable Leaf Milfoil and Fanwort, have been treated yearly with expensive chemicals costing many thousands of dollars. This year the estimated cost is approximately $20,000. Unfortunately, after this year we will not have enough funds for this annual treatment. FLW is devoted to keeping our lake healthy. We need your support more than ever to achieve our mission of a healthy and chemical free lake by 2025. Without regular control, the invasive weeds will have a devastating effect on the health of our lake – this impacts swimming, boating, fishing, wildlife and again, our property values!
We are excited to announce an alternative to chemicals for the weed management. On July 11, 2020 four families have privately hired the services of C&D Water Maintenance and their Eco-Harvester. This is an environmentally friendly method to remove weeds by the roots without negative impacts to the lake ecosystem. This is a test of the Eco-Harvester to assess its effectiveness. Stop by to see it in action at #23 – 57 Lake Shore Dr. on Saturday, July 11, 2020.
Please consider joining The Friends of Lake Williams (FLW) by clicking this link. Only together can we keep Lake Williams healthy.
Stay tuned for events that will be coming up in 2020!
Unauthorized Use of Lake Williams State Park Scenic Reserve
Individuals have been driving cars and camping on the DEEP property along with launching boats and jet skis. These activities are not permitted and anyone seeing these activities should call DEEP Enforcement immediately at: 860 424 3333
- What? Describe the nature of the problem, violation, or suspicious activity as completely as possible, including all information you think would be helpful. Complete, detailed reports can help determine the type of investigation needed. Photographs or video can be very helpful.
- Where? The location of the incident. Be specific as possible, including road or stream names and directions so our inspectors can locate the problem.
- When? The date and time the incident occurred or when you first noticed it. The sooner an incident is reported the greater likelihood that an environmentally protective response can be made.
- Who? A description of any people suspected to be involved, noting clothing and distinguishing features. If you know the company or individual(s) causing the problem, please give us that information. Also, indicate which local officials you have previously contacted in your town regarding this environmental issue including: names, dates, information/photographs, action taken, etc.
- Vehicles or vessels? Any vehicles, vessels, etc. involved? Provide a description, including registration or plate number, color, make, model, and the direction it was traveling.
- Containers? Indicate the size, shape, color, and number of containers; the type (plastic, metal, etc.); condition (bulging, rusted, missing covers, etc.); any leaking material.
- Your contact information? All information provided to DEEP becomes part of the public record. You may file a complaint anonymously; in that case, however, DEEP will not be able to provide you with feedback and, if you do not supply sufficient information regarding the problem, we may not be able to investigate the complaint. Please note: in many cases you can be identified by your email address; if you wish to remain anonymous, you may need to file your complaint by phone.
When you shop at AmazonSmile, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the value of the purchase to Friends of Lake Williams Inc. You can still purchase the same items at the same low price that you find on the regular Amazon website or in the app. Support us every time you shop.
New! Amazon has announced that you can now make purchases on Amazon Smile with your iOS or Android app on your phone or tablet. Simply click on the menu in the app, click on Settings , then select AmazonSmile. Don’t forget to choose Friends of Lake Williams as the charity you want to donate to.
We need your help
The annual membership drive for Friends of Lake Williams drive is ongoing. Current members will be solicited by mail or email if available. If you want to be a new member, or if you have not received your request for renewal in the mail, click this link. That will open a new page or tab to allow you to print the application.